Bloodeye - Craig Saunders

I received an e-arc of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a risky novella.  As the cover blurb implies, we are dealing with a situation where reality and dream or perhaps madness converge.  Where the line blurs and we question the reliability of our narrator.  Is he following a killer or is he himself the killer?  Many writers have attempted this story/narrative line with varying success.

Craig Saunders, the talented writer of Deadlift—also from Darkfuse—does better than most, largely because of his great use of atmosphere, which created real tension, and his main character, who was particularly well done.  This is the second Darkfuse published book that I have read by Saunders, and they both are very good.

Saunders created quite a bit of tension in the first half, with several very chilling scenes (particularly the one involving a photo that the protagonist discovers in his home) that set the tone for the rest of the novella.  The main character and the character of his wife were particularly well done.  By the halfway point you pretty much know where this ride will take you but you keep reading because you care about the characters and, like an accident scene, you don’t want to see but you can’t look away.

Well done.  4 stars.