The White Road - John Connolly

I have to start this off with a word of caution. To truly enjoy this absolutely amazing series, you have to start at the beginning. Starting anywhere other than Book 1---All The Dead Things and reading each book in order---should be punishable by public flogging. Would you recommend watching the Star Wars Trilogy in reverse order? Didn’t think so. This series is thought out in the big picture and each book builds on and relates back to the ones that precede it. It would be a crime to read them out of order.

I am only on episode 4 in this series and am deliberately spacing out the books to prolong the enjoyment. I am glad that I came to this series late because I have quite a few volumes before I have to wait for Mr. Connolly to write new installments.

The White Road is a place. Well, maybe a location is a better word. A metaphysical highway leading to….not sure yet, that is probably a few books ahead. The White Road is travelled by the dead, some of the living with special talents, and others that were never alive, or at least never fully human. The supernatural elements that were only hinted at in Every Dead Thing and Dark Hollow and started to gather in the wings in The Killing Kind are making their presence known as we begin to travel down the White Road.

What sets this already amazing weird detective series apart from all others is Connolly’s skill. The man can write circles around 99% of the writers today. Alternating between poetic dark mysticism and savage crime fiction this series is spellbinding in the true sense. Every time I open one of these books I pretty much am no good to anyone for the couple of days it takes to read the story. You are under its spell and will think about it pretty much every minute until you finish. These are realistic detective stories with a dark undercurrent that whispers of demonic origins.

Add to this Connolly’s characters. A cast of villains that are so over the top, so savage and hateful, so downright creepy, that you feel their presence as you read. Each book brings a set of flawed characters that you will root for or despise, but never forget. And then there are Charlie Parker, Louis and Angel. Louis, a semi-retired assassin so deadly that the mob has decided to leave him alone because it is just too dangerous to try to kill him and risk pissing him off; Louis’ significant other Angel, a non-apologetic thief who will follow Parker to the end of the earth and beyond because, as he says, some debts can never be paid. Louis and Angel are the muscle, and at times the laugh out loud humor, behind Parker’s brains and passion for justice as he travels down the White Road, seeking out the Dark Angels who bring horror and devastation to the world and, hopefully, not losing all that he loves in the process.