The Moonlit Mind: A Tale of Suspense

The Moonlit Mind: A Tale of Suspense - Dean Koontz Dean Koontz has started a tradition of releasing a novella to whet the appetite for the novel to follow.

Unlike "Darkness under the Sun" (novella) which fits perfectly into the larger story of "What the Night Knows," (novel), "The Moonlit Mind" is truly a stand alone story with little or no relation to "77 Shadow Street" other than geography. But it is a very good story and I highly recommend it.

"The Moonlit Mind" has all the standard Dean Koontz tropes. Super intelligent dog, brave yet maladjusted children, menacing dark conspiracies. But what the hell, it works for him. I enjoyed my time with Crispin and his dog and found his whole story, as well as the story of the dark forces working against him to be very entertaining. Actually, this one could have made an even better novel since it left so much of the story untold.

Talk about a dysfunctional family....

In a nutshell, Crispin and his brother and sister are "adopted" by their selfish and materialistic mother's latest romantic conquest, who has made a life for herself by seeking out rich and then even richer men to provide for her and, to a much lesser extent, for her children. The children have been at worst pawns, at best afterthoughts, in her life. Not this time. Her new husband is very interested in the children---as are the other members of his evil and powerful family and their magical, secret society.