The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes -  Arthur Conan Doyle,  Sidney Paget,  Alex Lubertozzi I have been re-reading the whole Holmes canon and this is the third installment. While I enjoyed A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four very much, I feel that this is where Doyle really got a handle on these characters and the way to tell these stories. It may well be that Holmes and Watson are better suited to the short story format than the novel/novella format.

I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of very different stories, ranging from a rather light hearted jilted lover mystery that introduces Holmes to one of the few people to ever best him, to a dark and deadly entanglement with the KKK in which Holmes can be said to cross a line by threatening his adversary with death. What happens? Read the stories. They are fantastic. Every one of them clever and varied and every one with a master's touch.

I also must praise this edition. If you are going to e-read this then get the Top 5 edition. It is very well done with lots of original illustrations that made the stories even more fun to read. If buying a stand alone e-book, I would get no other edition.