In Search of the Paranormal: The Hammer House Murder, Ghosts of the Clink, and Other Disturbing Investigations - Richard Estep I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I found this to be a very interesting glimpse into the non-hyped, non-big time, paranormal investigator. Estep never, at least in my opinion, oversells or draws unjustified conclusions from his data. There is virtually no sensationalism. Just what seems to me to be honest reporting from an investigator who really enjoys what he does and has a lifelong curiosity in the spiritual world. I emerged with a sense of what it would actually be like to partake in an investigation. With the exception of the investigation of “The Clink” prison, which apparently developed into bit of a party, the investigations are low key, scientific to the best that can be done in a totally uncontrolled environment and on a basically unknowable subject, and the results seem very plausible or at least justifiable to me.

I did find the investigation of the desecrated church to be disturbing. One one level, I found the abandoned graveyard being the target of vandals to be sad in the extreme. On another level, I was actually a bit freaked out by the idea of Satanists using a desanctified church to conduct their activities. It was the only investigation that I would not have been willing to participate in under any circumstances, especially since they were looking for signs of demonic infestation. I won’t be giving much away to say that the members of the team all reported a heaviness of spirit, tiredness and physical weakness for the next two days---which sounds like a lot like demonic oppression to this Catholic boy. Count me out on that one.

I hope that Estep writes more memoirs. He is very likeable and probably has many more interesting stories to tell. I was curious enough to want to seek out more information about his group, which always shows how much I enjoyed the book.