The Mysterious Affair At Styles

The Mysterious Affair At Styles - Agatha Christie I read quite a few of her books as a kid and am re-reading her collection in its entirety again and loving it.

Agatha Christie’s first Poirot mystery as well as her first published novel and you can already see the solid skills that made her the best in the business and she only got better and better as time passed. A cast of unusual and snarky characters, a few false clues, an impossible “locked door” murder, dry wit and humor, and the introduction of the legendary retired Belgian police detective make this a must for any mystery fan.

I did note that Poirot is about 70 in this novel which is set in the early 20’s, which clearly would make him about 130 by the time his last case rolls around, but who cares about these things? To be fair, I doubt that Christie, or anyone for that matter, had any idea that this was the first novel in the career of someone who would outsell everyone other than Shakespeare and the Bible (4 times as much as the next author on the list) with some 2 to 4 BILLION sales.