The Rhythm of the August Rain

The Rhythm of the August Rain - Gillian Royes I received an ARC copy of this novel from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
First, the good. Royes draws good characters and she writes well. This is the fourth in the series and although I have not read the first three I can get a sense of the history these characters share and a sense of Jamaica as a place. I will also say that the Rastas are an interesting people and I learned quite a bit about their culture and history.

But, I only gave this book two stars for a reason. As a mystery/thriller it is a complete snoozefest. I was over 70% of the way in and literally nothing had happened but the characters driving around talking to people and reminiscing about past events, none of which were particularly interesting. The one slightly interesting, but completely predictable, “mystery” if you can even call it that, was wrapped up in a few pages toward the very end of the book in an almost comically low-impact fashion. No tension whatsoever. I confess that there were times when I started skimming when characters spent pages explored their feelings for each other for the umpteenth time. Basically, several likeable characters doing pretty much nothing for about 300 pages.