Dark Screams: Volume Two

Dark Screams: Volume Two - Robert R. Mccammon, Richard Matheson, Brian James Freeman, Richard Chizmar I recieved an ARC copy on NetGalley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The second in the series continues the high quality. Read it in one sitting.

Overall Rating 4 stars.

The Deep End by Robert McCammon

I don’t like swimming in my pool at night with the light off. Yes, it is my pool and I know every inch of it. Maybe if I hadn’t read so many horror stories over the years, my imagination wouldn’t conjure up things in the dark water. I just find myself waiting for the touch of something on my leg from down below. This story is just like that. Creepy. Old School. It plays on fears of what is in the dark, or maybe just something we can’t see. Something that is nasty and old and “other.” 5 stars.

Interval by Norman Prentiss Very modern story that took several directions that I did not see coming in what, to all appearances, is a very realistic horror of a downed airplane and the hell that waits for the families waiting for news. Then it becomes about something else entirely. 4 stars.

If These Walls Could Talk by Shawntelle Madison My first story by this author and I enjoyed it very much. Can’t say much about this story that wouldn’t ruin it. I guess the best way to describe it is that when you are in a haunted house, sometimes the ghosts are the least of your worries. 4 stars.

The Night Hider by Graham Masterton Interesting story by one of the best ever. Think of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Now what if it wasn’t Narnia on the other side and what if instead of you going into another world, things from another world come into yours? A Masterton style ending too, which may not be expected. 4 stars.

Whatever by Richard Matheson I lived through the times described in this stream of consciousness rock music montage, so I feel that I caught most of the references. While I found the story interesting, I really don’t have a clue what was going on here. I did enjoy it for what it was though. 3 stars.