From the Mouths of Dogs: What Our Pets Teach Us about Life, Death, and Being Human - B.J. Hollars I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

From the Mouths of Dogs is definitely a book for the dog lover. I particularly enjoyed the chapters on pet cemetaries (to be distinguished from Stephen King’s Pet Semetary), services dogs, dog othortotics and the often dark times of those that toil in the animal welfare field. Not for the faint of heart, it is nevertheless a very balanced treatment of a very sensitive subject of animal control and animal welfare. Hollars maintains his journalistic balance of views, despite his obviously strong feelings on the topic, and I applaud that.

To anyone that thinks that pets are not a “serious” topic for a nonfiction book, I would merely point to the fact, as Hollars points out, that we, the pet loving public, spend more billions of dollars on our pets each year than the government allocates to Homeland Security.

Fluctuated between 3 ½ to 4 stars for me. 4 stars to the more informative sections, 3 to 3 ½ to the more autobiographical sections. But that is just a subjective preference and not the fault of the author.