A Song of Shadows: A Charlie Parker Thriller

A Song of Shadows: A Charlie Parker Thriller - John Connolly I received an advance review copy of this novel from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The 13th installment in the Charlie Parker series continues to maintain not only the quality but also the compelling excitement at a level that very few other author ever reaches. When I start one of the Charlie Parker books, similar to a Stephen King novel, I have to clear the decks. Make sure that I don’t have any evening plans. Turn off the phone. Find a quiet place. Because once I start it will be pretty much non-stop reading until the last word. 13 books into the series and it is still like that. Is there any series as good as this one? If so, I would like to hear about it because I doubt it.

Not only is A Song of Shadows a fantastic story in its own right, adding further depth to the stories that have slowly deepened to profound levels in the first 12 books in the series, but Connolly reveals a new direction to come and even hints at a final epic showdown on the horizon. The pieces are being assembled. The final lineup card is being formed. And it promises to be spectacular; I am sure equal parts satisfying and devastating. Even though it was midnight when I finished A Song of Shadows, if I had the next in the series I would have started it—at least the first few chapters.

If you can handle the darkness, it doesn’t get any better than this. Not only are the novels entertaining, riveting even, but they are about something—the Heart of Darkness in the human soul and the sacrifices that must be made in order to bring justice and fight for good against evil. Charlie Parker knows that to defeat evil you often win because you are more ruthless than your enemy. He gets results. He is feared because he is relentless and willing to do whatever is required to triumph over his enemy. No apologies. No quarter. No excuses. No equal.

5 stars.