Slade House: A Novel - David Mitchell

I received an advance copy of this work from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Marvelous. Chilling. Wonderful writing in a classic style. I love it when great writers write horror. Think Clive Barker or Henry James or even Poe. Tremendous characters. I really can’t say enough about this book other than I was blown away and put it on my best for the year list. Set aside some time because this is one you will read in one day.

The novel is set up in the form of a series of novellas told in chronological order which tell the story of Slade House—an example of What Is And Should Not Be. I will call it a horror novel and resist the impulse to divulge any more because I believe that the less you know, the more you will enjoy.

So, just go in blind. Open that little black iron door in the alley in Slade Alley behind the Fox and Hounds pub. Don’t be afraid. Crawl through and find your way through the gardens up to Slade House. The door will be unlocked. There may be friendly inhabitants there to help you find your way. Cross the threshold into the sprawling mansion that the locals will swear to you does not exist…..

5 Stars.