The Dunfield Terror

The Dunfield Terror - William Meikle I received an ARC edition from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Similar in premise to King's "Revival" but I think that I liked Meikle's book a bit more.

It is your classic tale of a mad scientist fiddling around with nature--in this case a machine that opens doors into another dimension. The story starts in the 50's when the government is conducting experiments with a machine that is designed to make a battleship invisible. While H. G. Well's invisibility is created through the manipulation of optics, Meikle's scientist creates the same effect by a dimensional shift. Why that seemed like a good idea is beyond me. As expected, the result is not good. But the story doesn't end there.

Some doors that are opened are very, very hard to shut. Cut to the present. Nature, through snow and fog, is obliterating the landscape. I must say that I love stories of isolation by snow and fog. Something about the isolation just makes the story more claustrophobic and creepy for me. The fog however is not ordinary fog. The mist hides the landscape, true. But is also hides what comes through the hole ripped in reality back in the 1950's.

As scientists work to mend the rip that was opened many years ago before literally all hell pours through, we find that the origin of this menace may have appeared long before those experiments in the 50's.

4 stars.