Little Girls

Little Girls - Ronald Malfi I received an ARC copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank them for allowing me to read an advance copy of this very fine supernatural thriller.

Spectacular ghost story dripping, figuratively and literally, with atmosphere. Gothic in tone, yet modern in treatment of the characters, this is the work of an accomplished writer. Fans of Henry James will find themselves thinking of The Turn of the Screw as the tension slowly builds and the reader weighs the possible implications of each revelation. There are no cheap scares here. More like a creepiness that envelopes you as if the heat went out in your house and the cold slowly settles into your bones.

Great pacing keeps the story moving along and the tension mounting while saving the big payoff for later in the story. Believable and complex characters draw you in. A very well plotted story-line unfolds like the peel of an onion, taking you deeper and deeper into a growing menace that is either supernatural or psychological but, whatever it is, it is 100% horrifying. This is a masterful ghost story in the classic gothic style by an accomplished writer. One of my favorite books this year.

It would make a fantastic movie.